Thursday, March 29, 2012

From Julia


Julia - Hi everyone!!! The past few days have been a blast. Today is our last day here in Maya Center. We gave the kids gifts, and they LOVED it! They’re all super sweet and act as if they’ve known us for a long time. At recess, we played duck duck goose with them. It was SO fun!!! After lunch, we went to a cocoa farm and it was so fun. I’ll show you pictures when I see you guys. We learned how to make chocolate the Mayan way! We made all four walls on the library and started on the roof. Yesterday, we went tubing. Tubing here means that you’re in an inner tube floating down a river in the middle of a jungle. My bug bites are very annoying, but the lady here made a home-made remedy that gets rid of bug bites right before your eyes!  One boy (who is the son of the people who own this place) is named Marraquin. he’s SUPER cute and funny! He’s my favorite kid in Belize. Dad- there are a lot of bids here. One is big with a long tail, and is the color of a starling. They’re like a mocking bird. Another type of bird is small and gray on the top, and a vibrant color on the bottom like red or yellow. The most common bird here is: believe it or not, the chicken. You’ll see them wherever you go, along with lots of dogs. Some are even stranger looking than our chicken! Their breed is missing feathers all over. Our group has had a scary+ fun= exciting critter experience. We’ve seen HUGE tarantulas, cockroaches as big as my hand, and other scary weird stuff. One tarantula was on Mr. Phillip’s leg! It was pretty exciting. I’ve bought lots of gifts for everyone except for Dad. What would you like me to bring you? I can’t wait to see you! Tell Daniel to read this, and when we get to Tobacco Caye, I’ll get you the sand that you wanted. Tell Emily to visit the blog! Bye! Love you guys
Love, Julia <3

3 comments:

Dale Goodman said...

Hi Julia, Dad here. You should be in for a great time at G-u-n P-o-w-d-e-r, I mean Tobacco Caye. I hope that you enjoy snorkeling. You can use the red camera to take underwater photos. If you would like to bring something home for me, bring some wildlife photos that you took yourself. See you in a few days. Love, Pa

Dalia said...

Dear Julia,
Boy, have the days whizzed by. Today after work I went to Daniel's track & field meet at New Prairie. There were so many events occurring simultaneously - long jump, high jump, shot put, hurdles and a variety of distances running. By the time it was over more than 3 hours later, it was 40 degrees outside. Brrrrr!! Everyone was shivering! When you read this you will be even happier that you are in Belize now. I hope you took pictures of the work your group did on the library. I'll send Emily the blog info. Daniel says hi! - he's too shy to write something ;). I hope that with the things you bring home, cockroaches & tarantulas are not part of the souvenirs! I enjoy reading your posts. Love you! Mom

Dalia said...

Dear Julia, I miss you very much. I noticed you didn't post anything yesterday. Hopefully that means you're too busy to write. Your visit is coming to an end and you will have so many experiences to share! Lucky just won't leave me alone when I'm writing to you- he seems to know you'll be reading this & wants to make sure he's part of the message - he's practically sitting on the laptop.. He really misses you! By now your group has certainly grown close and you all have a special bond. It will be great to see your pictures and hear in greater detail about your week. I'll see you tomorrow night at the airport. Lots of love, Mom

Post a Comment